Shannon Airport’s focus on excellent customer care and its strong sense of community has resulted in the creation of a new programme to support airport users with autism and special needs and their families.
As 20 percent of the airport’s travelling customers have special needs, the programme has been developed to help children and adults familiarise themselves with the airport and help them and their families to understand the steps involved in check in, security, boarding and the inflight experience.
The awareness and passenger assistance programme has a number of elements:
- A short video on the process of navigating through the airport
- A printable, interactive guide which people can personalize
- An advance service where people can visit the airport a few weeks before travel
- Wristbands and baseball caps to help staff identify special customers and families who may need assistance
- A fast track check in service
- A quiet room, due to be ready in July
For information about Shannon Airport’s assistance programme call 061 712 000 or email Passenger Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the airport website to view the video and online brochure which can be personalised to the name of the person travelling.
“We are very much committed to supporting our community and in particular those who may require additional support and assistance. We know how stressful parents of children on the autism spectrum and people with special needs can find travelling through an airport. We wanted to help by creating a customer care programme to address their needs”
Niall Moloney, Operations Director, Shannon Airport